Webinar: Autism 101
Wednesday: July 6, 2011
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. (Eastern)
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (Central)
- Nila Benito
Community Supports & Public Policy Coordinator, Florida Center for Inclusive Communities, University of South Florida
- Brenda Clark
Employment Services Coordinator, Florida Center for Inclusive Communities, University of South Florida
- Jill Houghton
Organization Development Specialist, TACE Southeast, Burton Blatt Institute, Syracuse University
** This is an introduction to the Autism & Employment Learning Community Series .
As VR personnel who are working directly with individuals with autism what do I need to know about the disability in general that would make my work more effective? This webinar will address:
- Operational Definitions for Autism Spectrum Disorder and Related Disabilities (Asperger, PDD-NOS). Recognizing Autism broadly.
- Relevant Data & Statistics: Prevalence, Growth, Prognosis/Life Outcomes.
- Common Characteristics of Autism Spectrum Disorder and Related Disabilities
- Tips for Communicating & Interacting: Specific tips and tools that professionals may need to use during interactions and meetings with persons with autism. (i.e. Visuals, Augmentative Communication, Behavior Support Strategies).
- Common Supports: A basic introduction supports and processes a person with autism may use and/or in communication and daily living. (i.e. Person Centered Planning, Peers)
Objectives & Outcomes
It is expected that VR staff who participate the webinar will have a basic understanding of autism and a familiarity of the characteristics of individuals on the autism spectrum as well as some of the general supports used by individuals with autism and professional who support them.
Materials & Resources
Recording of Webinar
**NOTE: If this is your first time using Elluminate, review: How to View the Recording of the Webinar.
- Recording in Elluminate – Webinar: Autism & Employment Learning Community Series - Autism 101 Part 1 (1.0 hour)